The LEAD Sports Summit has officially announced its full lineup of powerhouse female speakers for its second annual event for teenage girl swimmers, which will take place in Atlanta, GA over Labor Day Weekend (August 31-September 3, 2018). Three-time Olympian and LEAD Founder Kara Lynn Joyce created LEAD (Leadership, Empowerment, and Athletic Development) as an opportunity for girls to learn leadership skills from strong, accomplished female mentors.
The core group of speakers at the 2018 Summit will feature 5 female Olympians and 4 female specialists in different fields that contribute to leadership and empowerment. The star-studded lineup joining Kara includes:
- Elizabeth Beisel, 2-time Olympic medalist and 3-time Olympian
- Missy Franklin, 5-time Olympic gold medalist and 2-time Olympian
- Katie Meili, 2-time Olympic medalist
- Lia Neal, 2-time Olympic medalist and 2-time Olympian
- Toni Armstrong, Leadership Expert and Master of Experiential Education
- Jenn Brunelli, Registered Dietitian and Sports Dietitian for the Carolina Panthers
- Megan Cannon, Sports Psychologist and Member of the American Psychological Association
- Christen Shefchunas, Confidence Coach and author of Naked Confidence
“I’m thrilled to bring LEAD to Atlanta for our second Summit,” Joyce said. “We are so fortunate to be working with some of the best women in swimming to help mentor and guide the next generation of female leaders in our sport. By expanding our lineup of speakers, we’ll be able to provide the girls even more knowledge and practices for empowering themselves and others, both in and out of the pool.”
2016 Olympic captain Elizabeth Beisel said, “Speaking at LEAD was something equally empowering as it was reflective. I put myself in the girls’ shoes and spoke about leadership in the most honest and relatable terms possible. After speaking at the Summit, it made me look back on my teenage years and wish that I would have had something like LEAD when I was growing up. This makes speaking about leadership even more rewarding because I know I am giving the girls knowledge to inspire not only themselves, but other people around them.”
Throughout the weekend, the LEAD Mentors and Speakers will work with participants during group talks, team-building activities, workshops, and small-group, age-specific breakout sessions. Elizabeth Beisel will kick off the weekend as the opening keynote speaker, and will be followed over the coming days by talks on Leadership with Kara Lynn Joyce, Lia Neal, and Toni Armstrong, Sports Psychology with Dr. Megan Cannon, Nutrition with Jenn Brunelli, and Confidence with Christen Shefchunas and Katie Meili. Following her inspirational talk at the 2017 Summit, Missy Franklin will give the closing keynote. The LEAD Team is also excited to announce additional members of the squad joining as Team Leaders in the coming weeks.
The LEAD Summit is the first 4-day all-inclusive leadership and empowerment summit for teenage female swimmers. Registration includes:
- Full access to 9 top female mentors in swimming and leadership fields
- 3 nights at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
- All meals, including a dinner banquet with all LEAD Mentors and Speakers
- A trip to the LEAD Gift Suite, courtesy of LEAD’s partners and sponsors (to be announced soon!)
- Team building activities
- Swim clinic with the LEAD Olympic Mentors
Registration for LEAD is open to all female swimmers, ages 13-18. Athletes can register for the event and sign up for the LEAD newsletter through the website: https://leadsportssummit.com/.
Please contact Kara Lynn Joyce with any questions at: email@example.com and follow LEAD on Twitter: @LEADSportSummit & Instagram: @LEADSportsSummit for updates and announcements.
— This was a press release provided by LEAD