COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – San Diego State freshman McKenna Meyer has been named Mountain West Swimmer of the Week, while Nevada sophomore Toma Shmitova has earned MW Women’s Diver of the Week honors for competition through October 16, 2016. It is the first career accolade for both student-athletes.
The Mountain West Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships will be held February 15-18 at the Texas A&M Natatorium in College Station, Texas.
WOMEN’S SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
McKENNA MEYER, SAN DIEGO STATE
Freshman, Reno, Nevada / Galena HS
- Led San Diego State to double-dual meet victories over Vanderbilt (168-94) and UC San Diego (156.50-137.50).
- Won two events and placed fourth in another.
- Won the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:10.91. The time ranks first in the Mountain West and 25th in the nation through the first weeks of the season.
- Posted a winning time of 2:04.15 in the 200-yard individual medley, currently the top time in the MW this season.
- Recorded a time of 2:25.42 in the 200-yard breaststroke for fourth place in the event.
- Her times in the 1000-free and the 200-IM rank among the top 10 in Aztec history.
WOMEN’S DIVER OF THE WEEK
TOMA SHMITOVA, NEVADA
Sophomore, St. Petersburg, Russia / College of Olympic Reserve
- Placed in the top two in both springboard events in a dual meet victory against UNLV (144-98).
- Won the 3-meter springboard event with an NCAA-qualifying score of 314.78.
- Finished second with an NCAA-qualifying score of 293.48 in the 1-meter event.
2016-17 Mountain West Women’s Swimmers of the Week
Oct. 11 – Brittany Aoyama, Sr., Boise State
Oct. 18 – McKenna Meyer, Fr., San Diego State
2016-17 Mountain West Women’s Divers of the Week
Oct. 11 – Zoe Lei, So., Nevada
Oct. 18 – Toma Shmitova, So., Nevada
Press release courtesy of Mountain West Conference