Klete Keller Pleads Guilty to Felony Charge Over Jan. 6 Capitol Insurrection

klete-keller-us-capitol 1
Photo Courtesy: Screenshot from Townhall Media/Julio Rosas

Klete Keller Pleads Guilty to Felony Charge Over Jan. 6 Capitol Insurrection

Olympic swimmer Klete Keller on Wednesday pleaded guilty to a felony charge of acting to obstruct an official proceeding stemming from his presence in the United States Capitol as part of the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Keller, 39, pleaded guilty to one count of his seven-count indictment. He is entering a cooperation agreement with the government in return for the Department of Justice dropping the six other counts and receiving a sentencing recommendation.

The sentencing guideline for the charge is 21-27 months in prison. One defendant who has taken a similar plea around the insurrection agreed to eight months in prison.

According to a press release form the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the District of Columbia:

Keller admitted to entering the Capitol building around 2:39 p.m. on Jan. 6 through a hallway on the west side of the building. He was wearing a red, white and blue jacket with the letters “USA” on the back, as well as a light-blue neck gaiter and sunglasses. According to his plea, Keller entered the Rotunda and took photographs and videos of the surroundings. He then proceeded to the Ohio Clock Room hallway, where he stood with others and began filming law enforcement officers who were clad with riot gear and attempting to prevent the group of rioters from advancing. According to his plea, Keller yelled, “F*** Nancy Pelosi!” and “F*** Chuck Schumer!” before others began pushing forward toward the law enforcement officers.

At 2:51 p.m., Keller returned to the Rotunda, where he continued to take photographs and videos. Around 3:02 p.m., law enforcement officers entered the Rotunda to herd rioters toward the east exit. Keller did not leave. At 3:08 p.m., Keller jerked his elbow, shaking law enforcement officers off him as they attempted to remove him from the area. Keller then entered the east Rotunda doors area, where he remained with the crowd, clapping his hands and interacting with others unlawfully present, even while law enforcement officers deployed chemical irritants. Keller exited the Capitol at 3:30 p.m.

Keller destroyed his phone following the insurrection. He also threw away the jacket with the “USA” insignia on it from which he was identified on subsequent video.

Keller described wanting to “make amends” for his part in the action, according to reporters in the court room.

More Coverage

Notify of

Welcome to our community. We invite you to join our discussion. Our community guidelines are simple: be respectful and constructive, keep on topic, and support your fellow commenters. Commenting signifies that you agree to our Terms of Use

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
2 years ago

I hope he gets the time he deserves. And then the help he needs. Very very sad.

2 years ago

People who watch Fox and engage with conservative media entertainment are more misinformed then people who don’t watch any news at all. That misinformation campaign really took its toll on the country and its people. I am not sure why FOX continues to escape culpability for their acolytes’ actions.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x