Swiss take First & Third in Women's Triathlon -- September 16, 2000
By Michael Collins
In an upset victory Brigitte MacMahon, of Switzerland out-sprinted Michellie Jones to win the Gold Medal (2:00.40-2:00.42)in the first medal event of the 2000 Olympics. Magali Messmer, also of Switzerland, took home the bronze.
Americans placed very well too, with Joanna Zeiger finishing fourth, and Sheila Taormina finishing a gutsy sixth after leading the entire swim and much of the bike. Jennifer Gutierrez spend some time off the front on the bike as well, but faded in the run to 13th.
The Americans, Aussies, and Swiss controlled the race throughout while the Canadians failed to put anyone in the top 10 after potential contender Carol Montgomery dropped out.
1. Brigitte MacMahon SUI 2:00.40
2. Michellie Jones AUS 2:00.42
3. Magali Messmer SUI 2:01.08
4. Joanna Zeiger USA 2:01.25
5. Loretta Harrop AUS 2:01.42
6. Sheila Taormina USA 2:02.45
7. Isabelle Mouthon FRA 2:02.53
8. Christine Hocq FRA 2:03.01
9. Nicole Hackett AUS 2:03.10
10. Nancy Kemp LUX 2:03.14
13. Jennifer Gutierrez USA 2:03.38
Triathlon & Open Water Section
Visit our excellent Triathlon section including books, videos, and wetsuits in our