Happy Thanksgiving -- November 24, 2005
By Emily Mason
PHOENIX, Ariz. November 24. DON’T start feeling sorry for yourself if you have practice today, it’s merely a blessing in disguise. So what if your coach’s ritual is 100 50s or 100 100s for that matter, it works out in the end.
Here’s the justification, most Thanksgiving Day workouts are in the morning, my apologies to those of you who have an afternoon one, so you get good and hungry. What better way to start off your day than burning up some calories and carbohydrates, you get to replace them all day.
Eat all the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes you want, but be sure to leave room for dessert. Yeah, sure you'll feel like you have brick in your stomach at Friday practice but the food, family and fun is all worthwhile!
So as you are swimming through that main set with evil thoughts directed to your coach, remember the favor he is doing you. Think happy thoughts of all the food your hungry body will be ready to eat. Sure, you might need a little nap at some point in the day but who has ever turned down some extra sleep. So enjoy your Thanksgiving and thank your coach for always being there, remember it is a holiday for them too!
1. The first department store to hold a Thanksgiving Day Parade was...
b. J.C. Penney’s
c. Montgomery Ward
2. What is the name of the place where the pilgrims first landed?
3. Thanksgiving became a national holiday thanks to this woman magazine editor...
a. Sarah Parker
b. Sarah Hale
c. Haley Parker
4. In Canada they celebrate Thanksgiving in this month...
5. What part of the turkey is saved and snapped as a good luck charm or wish granter?
6. Every year a turkey is pardoned by the president and lives out it’s days in Frying Pan Park, where is it going this year?
7. Before being harvested and sold a cranberry must bounce how high to make sure it isn’t too ripe?
a. 3 inches
b. ½ an inch
c. 8 inches
d. 4 inches
8. What was the first balloon in Macy’s 1927 Thanksgiving Day Parade?
a. Felix the Cat
c. Mickey Mouse
d. Betty Boop
9. True or false? Turkeys can drown if they look up in the rain.
10. What sporting event was bet on back at the earliest of Thanksgivings?
Answers: 1. d, 2. Plymouth Rock, 3. b, 4. c, 5. wishbone, 6. Disneyland, 7. d, 8. a, 9. true, 10. b
Subscribe to Swimming World Magazine Today
Download The Current Issue of Swimming World Magazine