Michael Phelps was honored on Valentine’s Day at the 2017 Laureus World Sports Awards in Monaco.
During the award show hosted by British actor Hugh Grant, Phelps was presented the award for the Laureus World Comeback of the Year by Laureus Academy member Boris Becker. The 23-time Olympic gold medalist was honored for his six-medal performance at this past summer’s Rio Olympic Games, which came after Phelps took a hiatus from the sport and dealt with issues that included a DUI arrest and a stint in rehab.
The honor is just the latest for Phelps, who was honored by Sports Illustrated in November as the greatest Olympian of all time.
The Laureus World Sports Awards is an event that is held annually to celebrate men and women in the world of sports along with their achievements from the previous calendar year. A panel of the world’s leading sports editors, writers, and broadcasters nominate individuals in the five categories, which are then voted upon within the Laureus World Sports Academy.
Complete List of winners for the 2017 Laureus World Sports Awards:
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year – Usain Bolt
- Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year – Simone Biles
- Laureus World Team of the Year – Chicago Cubs
- Laureus World Comeback of the Year – Michael Phelps
- Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability – Beatrice Vio
- Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year – Rachel Atherton
More about the 2017 Laureus World Sports Awards can be found here.