Poll of the Week: Tax Breaks For Olympic Medal Winners? (Results)

PHOENIX, Arizona, June 13. THE California legislature is considering giving Olympians a tax break on the money they receive for winning Olympic medals. This would only apply to those who declare residency in California, and would only be for their state taxes. And there’s word of a similar bill going through the U.S. Senate for federal tax purposes. In our last poll, we asked if you thought Olympians should get a tax break, and the votes got pretty close near the end.

Note: YouTube Measures Views Only For Episodes Watched On YouTube.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, SwimmingWorldSPI

A majority of voters, 56.21 percent in fact, said yes, athletes should get the tax breaks. On the other side was the 43.79 percent who said no.

Let’s move on now to our new poll question, and it involves the upcoming USA Swimming nationals. The meet will pick the team for this summer’s Pan Pacific championships … AND next year’s world championships. This was the procedure back in 2010 as well, and it was met with praise and criticism. Some, mostly the athletes who made the 2011 world championship team, said it was a good thing because it gave them about a year to prepare. Those who were opposed to it believed some athletes who weren’t on their game in 2010 missed out on worlds and might have made that team if the selection meet was in 2011. Matt Grevers was one of those people, though he did make up for it by winning the gold medal in the 100 back in the 2012 Olympics.

So, what do you think about USA Swimming’s decision to pick the 2015 world championship team 11 months before the meet? Is it a good idea, or a bad idea? Go to our poll section on our home page at swimmingworld.com and place your vote. We’ll bring you the results in our next show.

Comments Off on Poll of the Week: Tax Breaks For Olympic Medal Winners? (Results)

Author: Jeff Commings

Jeff Commings is the Senior Writer for SwimmingWorld.com and Swimming World Magazine. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in journalism and was a nine-time NCAA All-American.

Current Swimming World Issue