|HUNTINGTON BEACH, California, May 17. ADAM Krikorian, Head Coach for the U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team, today announced the 13 athletes that will compete at the 2012 Olympic Games this summer in London, England at a press conference at the LA84 Foundation in Los Angeles, CA. Featuring seven returners from the 2008 team that won the Silver Medal, and eight athletes overall with Olympic Games experience, the team clinched a berth to the 2012 Olympic Games by winning Gold at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Led by Team Captain Brenda Villa (Commerce, CA/Stanford/Olympic Club) the U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team is one of the most successful programs in international water polo history over the last twelve years. The only nation to win an Olympic Medal at every Olympic Games offering women's water polo, a tally that includes two Silver Medals (2000 and 2008) and a Bronze (2004), the program has also won three World Championships and one World Cup title during that span.
Villa is joined on the team by Heather Petri (Orinda, CA/California/NYAC); both will be the first U.S. women to compete in four Olympic Games in water polo.
2012 U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team (Hometown/College/Club)
1. Betsey Armstrong - Goalkeeper (Ann Arbor, MI/Michigan/NYAC)*
2. Heather Petri - Attacker (Orinda, CA/California/NYAC)#%*
3. Melissa Seidemann - Defender (Walnut Creek, CA/Stanford/Stanford)
4. Brenda Villa - Attacker (Commerce, CA/Stanford/Olympic Club)#%*
5. Lauren Wenger - All-Around (Long Beach, CA/USC/NYAC)*
6. Maggie Steffens - Defender (Danville, CA/Stanford/Diablo)
7. Courtney Mathewson - Attacker (Anaheim Hills, CA/UCLA/NYAC)
8. Jessica Steffens - Defender (Danville, CA/Stanford/NYAC)*
9. Elsie Windes - Defender (Portland, OR/California/Tualatin Hills WP)*
10. Kelly Rulon - Attacker (San Diego, CA/UCLA/NYAC)%
11. Annika Dries - Center (Laguna Beach, CA/Stanford/SET)
12. Kami Craig - Center (Santa Barbara, CA/USC/Santa Barbara WPF)*
13. Tumua Anae - Goalkeeper (Newport Beach, CA/USC/SOCAL)
The U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team will open competition at the 2012 Olympic Games against Hungary on July 30. That is followed by a match against Spain on August 1, and China on August 3, to close out preliminary play in Group A. The quarterfinals are set for August 5, followed by the semifinals on August 7, and the medal round on August 9.
The above article is a press release submitted to Swimming World Magazine. It has been posted in its entirety without editing. Swimming World offers all outlets the chance to reach our audience by contacting us at Newsmaster@swimmingworldmagazine.com. However, Swimming World reserves the right to choose what material is posted.