Courtesy of: Chloe McCardel
PHOENIX, Arizona, June 21. LAST week Chloe McCardel attempted to swim 103 miles from Cuba to Florida, but was pulled out of the water 11 hours into the swim with serious jellyfish stings. Though just 28 years old, McCardel said she wouldn't return for another try. She's the third person to make a serious go at the swim, in the past 35 years, and with no one able to make it without the aid of a shark cage, we wanted to know if you thought the swim was impossible to complete.
In our last poll, 61.76 percent said yes, the swim can't be done. On the other hand, 38.24 percent said it can be done. No one has come forward to publicly announce their intentions to try the swim yet, but we're anxious to hear of anyone who is confident they can reach the shore of the Florida Keys after 60 hours of swimming.
Now on to our new poll. The USA Swimming national championships and world championship trials begins Tuesday in Indianapolis, and there are plenty of races that could come down to hundredths of seconds in determining the winner. Next Saturday on June 29 is the final of the men's 50 freestyle, and the field is likely to include a trio of likely winners. There's Nathan Adrian, who is the reigning Olympic champion in the 100 free and the fastest American in the event so far this year. Anthony Ervin is continuing to improve in the event, as evidenced by his appearance in the Olympic final last year. Cullen Jones won silver in the 50 free in London and should never be counted out as a serious contender. So, we want to know which of these three you believe will win. Or will it be someone else? Go to swimmingworld.com and vote in the poll on the right side of the page.
We'll be back next Friday with results of the poll, one day before the 50 free.