The following message from USMS President Nancy Ridout outlines the alternative courses of action she will follow, depending upon how soon the airlines are able to get back on schedule after the tragic events of today.
The events of today are tragic and we mourn those who lost their lives, and we grieve along with their families. We also wonder how anyone could have planned and carried out a mission that would cause so much devastation, destruction, and sadness for so many.
What might have been a day of anticipation and excitement for those of us embarking to our annual
meeting became instead one of sorrow and disbelief; certainly one of those days for which we will always remember where we were when….
It is my belief (and the American way) that we should carry on, never forgetting the events of the day, but not letting them paralyze our ability to carry out our responsibilities and way of life. Therefore, if airlines are allowed to fly tomorrow, Wednesday, the
convention will go on as planned, with a Board of Directors Meeting at 7am – if a room can be found. The rest of the schedule would need minor, if any, changes.
If planes cannot fly until Thursday, the convention will proceed with major schedule changes which would involve a long day of committee meetings on Friday and the House of Delegates on Saturday.
If planes cannot fly until Friday, we will postpone the convention. I do not believe we can do justice to the business we need to address in one day (Saturday).
For those of you planning to drive, these will be the parameters to consider before you start out.
If you have determined for safety's sake that you will not attend, please reply to this message as soon as possible. I appreciate your reluctance and understand your feelings.
God bless you.