PHOENIX, Arizona, October 23. IT was two years ago today that Swimming World had the unfortunate duty to report that Fran Crippen, at just 26 years old, died during the FINA Open Water 10K World Cup swim in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates. While the open water swimming community at large is still working towards trying to make open water a safer sport, the swimming world has taken to Twitter in droves to remember Crippen.
Here's some of the tweets that have been posted throughout the day.
Two years ago on this day.. Fran Crippen died to our shock and sorrow… now let us WORK THE DREAM…. all for his legacy..
– John Emmanuel Ramos (@JMRamos1701D) October 23, 2012
– Erin Quinn (@ErinQuinn11) October 23, 2012
When I was 9, I was told that I would be a breaststroker by Fran Crippen. RIP. I miss you. Thank you for being such an inspiration.
– Ally ♥ (@dilly_dALLY_5) October 23, 2012
Fran Crippen. 2 years ago my life changed forever i decided i will always try to be involved with swimming for those who can't. ben hair
– stephen gomez (@gomez4750) October 23, 2012
2 years ago yesterday, swimmer Fran Crippen died in an open water swim. We carry forward his legacy in rememberance. twitter.com/H2OSportsFan/s…
– Wil Stockman (@H2OSportsFan) October 23, 2012
– Katya Bachrouche (@katyabachrouche) October 23, 2012
Dreams never die…only dreamers do ~ Fran Crippen💗 rest in peace
– Abbi Walsh (@AxWalshx) October 23, 2012
RIP Fran Crippen, one of the best open water swimmers we ever had
– Jarrod Hendricks (@JarrodHendricks) October 23, 2012
– Riley Nash Mita (@RileyNashMita) October 23, 2012
Remembering you today Fran Crippen.
– GeorgeBovell (@GeorgeBovell) October 23, 2012
Fran Crippen is forever one of the greatest athletes to ever live. RIP Fran 2010. Always in our thoughts.
– Sierra Tarrant (@SierraTarrant) October 23, 2012
RIP Fran Crippen. You truly were wise beyond your years on this earth. I am truly blessed to have known you. #NeverForget
– Todd Schmitz (@starstodd) October 23, 2012
– Steph Proud (@StephProud88) October 23, 2012
Fran Crippen passed away two years ago today. If you love swimming as much as Fran did, make today's practice the best you've ever had.
– Mike Gustafson (@mikelgustafson) October 23, 2012
Fran Crippen passed away two years ago today. If you love swimming as much as Fran did, make today's practice the best you've ever had 💙
– Rachel Johnson ⚓ (@UTMagic) October 23, 2012
2 years ago the swimming world lost a great man, an open water icon. Fran Crippen died doing what he loved, swimming open water. #RIPFran
– Joe Wise (@joebwise) October 23, 2012
Fran Crippen Interview 1 – GoSwim! – Thank you the time you shared with us Fran – bit.ly/UwU4xJ
– Glenn Mills (@goswim) October 23, 2012
Can't believe it's been two years already.You will be forever missed RIP Fran Crippen
– chris kronk (@ChrisKronk) October 23, 2012
Fran Crippen. An amazing athlete, leader, coach, friend, inspiration….I was lucky to have known him.
– Chloe Sutton (@csutswim) October 23, 2012
RIP Fran Crippen, 2 years ago today…a great man, athlete, and ambassador to the sport of swimming
– Eric Sparks (@e_sparks12) October 23, 2012
To remember and honor Fran Crippen legacy, we will pass on and teach the next generation of swimmers to emulate… fb.me/1dWN3RnUQ
– Bluefish Swim Club (@bluefishswim) October 23, 2012
Once a Nadador. Always a Nadador. Fran Crippen was and still is a role model to everyone who knew him and even those who didn't.
– Joey Ferreri (@JoeyFerreri) October 23, 2012
We miss you Fran Crippen! We will always remember you! 10k in honor!
– UNLV Swim & Dive (@UNLVswimanddive) October 23, 2012
Always great racing with him RT @csutswim: Fran Crippen. An amazing athlete, leader, coach, inspiration….I was lucky to have known him
– Nick Caine (@ncaine12) October 23, 2012
RIP Fran Crippen ΓΙΑΤΙ ΜΕΧΡΙ ΝΑ ΓΙΝΟΥΝΕ ΟΙ OPEN WATER ΑΓΩΝΕΣ ΑΣΦΑΛΕΙΣ, ΘΑ ΧΑΝΟΝΤΑΙ ΖΩΕΣ twitter.com/Oooolya/status…
– ♓k-O$ Χαοτική^2 (@Oooolya) October 23, 2012
– Brooke Bennett (@BrookeBennett) October 23, 2012
RIP FRAN CRIPPEN. Work the Dream! twitter.com/ZsofiB/status/…
— Zsofi Balazs (@ZsofiB) October 23, 2012
Remembering Fran Crippen today and working on living my dash. RIP twitter.com/erinhowarth/st…
— Erin Garriepy (@erinhowarth) October 23, 2012