Swimming’s most important lessons (Part 1: #’s 1-15)
PHOENIX-30 things you need to understand about the development of swimmers: A personal Journey 25 years in the making. This is the first of a two part series in the April & May Issues of Swimming World Magazine.
Excerpt from the upcoming April 2015 Issue of Swimming World Magazine, By Wayne Goldsmith who said, “After 25 years working with swimmers, coaches, swimming clubs, swimming parents and swimming organisations all over the world, I am often asked, ‘What are the most important things you’ve learned about swimming?'”
Here is a a quick summary of swimming’s most important lessons Goldsmith has learned in helping swimmers to realize their potential, more on each point and the countdown of all 30 in the April & May 2015 Issues of Swimming World Magazine:
30 THINGS YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE DEVELOPMENT OF SWIMMERS .
1. It’s all about commitment
2. There are no little things
3. Parents….there are difficult parents in every program… the key is how you communicate with them
4. Some parents will never be happy no matter what you do
5. Early success – early failure – unless…
6. Confidence is the key and it all starts with independence
7. Workouts don’t really matter
8. There are no short cuts
9. Sleep, rest, recovery and staying healthy are as important as training
10. Love and accept yourself as a human being for who you are – not for what you do
11. Never give up
12. Values, character and virtues underpin all stories
13. Mental toughness counts-but not in the way you might think
14. Don’t count the laps…make every lap count
15. Don’t rubbish other programs, other swimmers or other coaches
16 -30. Available in the May 2015 Issue of Swimming World Magazine
Interested in learning more about each point and seeing all 30? Not a subscriber? A Swimming World Magazine Subscription gives you unlimited access to all online content on SwimmingWorld.com and access to all of the back issues of Swimming World Magazine dating back to 1960! Purchase your Total Access Subscription TODAY!
Act now to purchase a subscription of Swimming World Magazine and receive the April & May 2015 Issues with 30 Things You Need To Understand About The Development Of Swimmers By Wayne Goldsmith. Wayne Goldsmith is one of the world’s leading experts in elite-level swimming and high-performance sport. He has worked with swimmers, coaches, swimming clubs, swimming parents, sports scientists and swimming organizations all over the world for 25 years. He has contributed to Swimming World Magazine for 15 years. Be sure to check out his websites at www.wgaquatics.com and www.wgcoaching.com .