PHOENIX, Arizona, December 26. ON the third day of Swimming World Magazine’s end of the year holiday rollout, we present the top 10 news stories on SwimmingWorld.com in January and February of 2013. The following stories were read most often during that time.
Relive a little recent history by clicking the story links below Enjoy!
1. Michael Phelps More Emotional Over Ray Lewis Retirement Than London Olympics
Following the 2013 Super Bowl, longtime Baltimore Raven and Michael Phelps buddy Ray Lewis announced his retirement, causing a seriously emotional response from the Greatest Olympian of All Time.
2. Video Included: Jack Conger Destroys 30-Year-Old National High School Record
Jeff Kostoff’s 1983 500 yard freestyle HS record fell at the 2013 Metro Championships with Conger’s 4:13.87
3. USA Swimming Announces Bid Cities for 2016 U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials
Several months later, Omaha, Nebraska was named the winner
4. Michael Phelps is Back in the Pool
Coach Bob Bowman teased us by posting photos of Phelps in the pool
5. Lance Armstrong Presents U.S. Masters Swimming With a Dilemma The dishonored bicyclist is a registered masters swimmer
6. British Olympic Hopeful Chloe Waddell Dies Morning After Awards Ceremony
British up and comer tragically passed after possible head injury at party
7. Arena Grand Prix Money List: Title Sponsor Awards $150K in Race Winnings
A big boost for both the Grand Prix series and its athletes
8. Ryan Lochte, Will You Go to Prom With Me? Update — He Couldn’t Go, But Sent Flowers!
Who wouldn’t want to go to prom with Ryan Lochte?
9. USC Unanimous Top-Ranked Team in CSCAA NCAA Women’s Division I Rankings
The College Swim Coaches Association of America releases updated rankings every couple of weeks during the collegiate season
10. I Always Knew Good Would Come from Swimming: Swim Star Battles Cancer
Esmeralda Perez is swimming through chemotherapy treatment for her Hodgkin’s Lymphoma