PHOENIX, Arizona, December 28. ON the fifth day of Swimming World Magazine’s end of the year holiday rollout, we present the top 10 news stories on SwimmingWorld.com in May and June of 2013. The following stories were read most often during that time.
Michael Phelps’ rumored comeback was at the top of Swimming World’s most read list, closely followed by the Arena Powerskin suit controversy. Other headlines making the top 10 include when the UNC-Wilmington’s men’s and women’s swim and dive teams found themselves in jeopardy and the final sentencing for Rick Curl in a sad sexual abuse case.
These following stories were the most read in May and June of 2013. Relive it all by clicking the story links below. Enjoy!
1. Update: Michael Phelps’ Agent Denies Comeback, Doesn’t Completely Shut Door
Rumors surrounding Phelps’ comeback were slightly curbed when his agent denied them. However, we would see in later months that this denial was merely throwing Phelps fans off the comeback trail..
2. Arena Powerskin Suits Non-Compliant; USA Swimming, US High School Allow Suits
A slight manufacturing error caused three versions of the Arena Powerskin suit to be considered non-compliant with FINA standards. Although Arena quickly recognized the error and offered to replace the non-compliant suits, questions were raised about swims performed in Arena suits during the high school season.
3. IOC Presidential Candidate Calling for Worldwide Olympic TV Network
In a push to keep sports fans interested in Olympic sports outside of Olympic years, IOC presidential candidate Thomas Bach pushed for a global network that broadcasts sporting events in non-Olympic years.
4. Redding’s Winn Aung, 10, Breaks Kris Humphries’ Age Group Swimming Mark
The 10 year old took a second off Brooklyn Nets Kris Humphries’ boys 10-and-under 100 freestyle National Age Group mark, set in 1995.
5. Arena Grand Prix, Santa Clara: Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer Impress in Jammers
A full recap of the first day of competition at the Arena Grand Prix Santa Clara
6. Phoenix Swim Club Terminates Matt Rankin as Head Coach
Part one of the tumultuous tale of the Phoenix Swim Club in 2013
7. UNC-Wilmington Men’s and Women’s Swim/Dive Programs in Jeopardy
Through a social media campaign, the swim team was eventually saved from the chopping block. Read the full story in the August Issue of Swimming World Magazine
8. Michael Phelps, Bob Bowman Feed Speculation on Comeback with Photos
Adding fuel to the fire….
9. Rick Curl Sentenced to Seven Years Jail Time in Sexual Abuse Case
Curl pleaded guilty to charges that he sexually abused a former underage swimmer over the course of many years in the 1980s.
10. Ian Silverman, Kayla Wheeler Set Paralympic World Marks at CanAm Champs
Silverman better the men’s 1500 freestyle world mark, which stood for 33 years, and Wheeler broke the women’s 50 butterfly world mark