LAUSANNE, Switzerland November 6. WITH the occasion of the 2nd FINA World Aquatics Convention, held in Moscow (RUS) on October 29 — November 2, 2012 the FINA Bureau met in the Russian capital and took the following major decisions:
* Approval of the new format of the FINA World Masters Championships, starting from 2015 in Kazan (RUS), which will be organised in conjunction with the FINA World Championships. In this way, the Host City can benefit from an increased economic and financial impact. Moreover, Masters competitors will be able to contest their events in the same venue as the best elite athletes in the world.
* Confirmation of the bids from Hong Kong (HKG), Windsor/Detroit (CAN/USA) and United Arab Emirates (city to be confirmed) for the organisation of the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) in 2016, and eventually 2018. FINA will award these championships on December 11, 2012 prior to the start of the 11th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) in Istanbul (TUR).
* Confirmation of High Diving events (27m for men, 18m for women) in the programme of the 15th FINA World Championships, to be held in July 2013 in Barcelona (ESP).
* Inclusion of the mixed relays in the programme of the FINA World Junior Swimming Championships, starting from 2013. The age groups for these Championships were also approved: Boys — 15-18; Girls — 14-17.
* Negotiations to continue with the IOC in order to increase the contribution of the Aquatic disciplines in the Olympic programme.
* Temporarily suspend the Ecuador Swimming Federation, due to major interference of the Government in the functioning of the Federation. Athletes from Ecuador will be able to participate in FINA events under the FINA flag.
The above article is a press release submitted to Swimming World Magazine. It has been posted in its entirety without editing. Swimming World offers all outlets the chance to reach our audience by contacting us at Newsmaster@swimmingworldmagazine.com. However, Swimming World reserves the right to choose what material is posted.