By M. Duncan Scott
MESA, AZ – July 26 – NINE locations will host 2004 Summer SPEEDO Champion Series events across three different weekends. The first six meets have just finished. This note highlights the top efforts at the lone Eastern Zone site in Buffalo, N.Y.
• Southern – Fort Lauderdale, FL – July 21-25 (results not yet on meet website but can be found at LSC site: http://www.fgcswim.org/
• Central – Wichita, KS – July 21-24
• Eastern – Buffalo, NY – July 22-25
• Southern – Auburn, AL – July 22-25
• Western – Clovis, CA – July 22-25
• Central – Minneapolis, MN – July 22-25
• Central – Bloomington, IN – July 28-August 1
• Southern – Austin, TX – July 28-August 1
• Western – Federal Way, WA – August 10-14
We’ll highlight some of the more sizzling swims here, but please click on the special “Speedo Championship Series Summer Sectional Meets Results Page” link at the top of the SwimInfo homepage to access the results of every swim, and more!
In Buffalo again the emphasis was on youngsters, though at least one Olympian preparing for Athens was among the winners, with Eugene Botes of BCAT and South Africa won the 100 butterfly at :54.72 as he prepares to head to Greece.
The eye-openers, however, were a couple of 15-year-olds. Erica Meissner of MAG won both backstrokes, with the 200 victory the swim of the meet – a 2:14.28, which improved on the effort that put Meissner in finals at the Olympic Trials.
On the men’s side the fifteen year old star was Daniel Madwed, Sharks-CT, who was second to Botes in the 100 butterfly (:55.68) and won the 200 at 2:02.37, both remarkable times for a 15 year-old.
1500 freestyle 16:59.73 Samantha Edwards(16) GCIT
100 breaststroke 1:12.89 Alison Clemens(15) Agua
100/200 Backstroke 1:03.94/2:14.28 Erica Meissner(15) MAG-NE
100 butterfly :54.72 Eugene Botes BCAT (RSA) 100/200 butterfly :55.68/2:02/37 Daniel Madwed Sharks-CT
400 Ind. Med. 4:31.89 Eric Brumberg GCIT