Ohio State’s Liz Li and Indiana’s Vini Lanza were honored by the Big Ten Conference for their efforts in the pool last week. They both won swimmer of the week while Minnesota’s Sarah Bacon and Nick Yang won diver of the week honors. Indiana’s Gabriel Fantoni and Minnesota’s Mackenzie Padington won freshman of the week awards.
Men’s Swimmer of the Week
Vini Lanza, Indiana, Jr.
- Placed first in two individual events, the 100-yard butterfly (46.86) and 200-yard butterfly (1:45.14), as well as contributed to first-place finishes in the 200-yard medley relay (1:26.29) and the 400-yard freestyle relay (2:54.54) in a dual-meet against Louisville
- Recorded NCAA B Standard qualifying times in both individual events
- The 2016-17 Academic All-Big Ten honoree earns his second career Swimmer of the Week honor and the first of the season
- Last Indiana Swimmer of the Week: Blake Pieroni (Jan. 17, 2018)
Women’s Swimmer of the Week
Liz Li, Ohio State, Sr.
- Earned five top-3 finishes overall and won two individual events, posting an NCAA A Standard time in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 54.31, as well as an NCAA B standard time in the 50 freestyle with a time of 22.52 at the Shamrock Invitational
- Helped the 200 (1:30.59) and 400-yard (3:20.53) freestyle relay teams to second and third place finishes, respectively, as well as aided the 200-yard medley relay (1:40.59) team to a third place finish
- Earns her fourth career Swimmer of the Week honor and the first of the season
- Last Ohio State Swimmer of the Week: Meg Bailey (Jan. 10, 2018)
Men’s Diver of the Week
Nick Yang, Minnesota, Jr.
- Placed first in the 1-meter (453.90) and 3-meter (404.40) diving events, as well as third place in the platform (354.90) in a Big Ten meet against Northwestern
- Earned NCAA zone qualifying scores in the 1-meter and 3-meter event
- Earns his first Big Ten Diver of the Week honor
- Last Minnesota Diver of the Week: Matt Barnard (Dec. 7, 2016)
Women’s Diver of the Week
Sarah Bacon, Minnesota, So.
- Recorded a first place finish in the 1-meter (329.55) and 3-meter (345.05) diving events against Northwestern
- Posted NCAA zone qualifying scores in both events
- Earns her second Diver of the Week award and the second of the season
- Last Minnesota Diver of the Week: Bacon (Jan. 10, 2018)
Men’s Freshman of the Week
Gabriel Fantoni, Indiana
- Placed first in the 100 backstroke (47.27), the 200 backstroke (1:45.51) and finished third in the 100 butterfly (48.80), also helped the 200 medley relay team to a first place finish with a time of 1:26.29 in a dual-meet against Louisville
- Recorded NCAA B Standard qualifying times in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke
- Earns his third Freshman of the Week award
- Last Indiana Freshman of the Week: Fantoni (Jan. 24, 2018)
Women’s Freshman of the Week
Mackenzie Padington, Minnesota
- Placed top-2 in three individual races, claimed first in the 200 freestyle (1:46.60) and second in the 500 freestyle (4:51.77) and the 1,000 freestyle (9:50.60) in a Big Ten dual against Northwestern
- Posted an NCAA B Standard time in the 200 freestyle
- Earns her third Freshman of the Week award
- Last Minnesota Freshman of the Week: Padington (Dec. 6, 2017)
The above press release courtesy of the Big Ten Conference