Both Heidi and Ba Anh won their second open water swim after capturing the 10K marathon swim in Putri Island (Pulau Putri, Kepulauan Seribu) in Indonesia. With superb organization of 226 volunteers and officials showcasing the sport in a tropical setting, the 5K and 10K events proved to be magnificent additions to the Southeast Asian Games.
With a 15-minute separation between the men's and women's field, the 14 athletes completed the loop course in 29.5°C under the watchful eyes of the safety officials and surprised onlookers from the shoreline.
On the men's side, Ba Anh won by 9 seconds to take his second gold medal of the SEA Games. On the women's side, Gan accomplished the same with a dominating 14-minute victory that added to her gold medal tally.
The final 10K marathon swimming results:
1. Ba Anh Tu Chau (Vietnam) 2:14:32
2. Ricky Angga Wijaya (Indonesia) 2:14:41
3. Kevin Yeap Soon C (Malaysia) 2:15:29
4. Vernon Lee Jeau ZH (Malaysia) 2:15:32
5. Brandon Boon (Singapore) 2:15:34
6. Satrio Bagaskara G (Indonesia) 2:16:08
7. Kenneth Lim (Singapore) 2:29:14
8. Van Ty Nguyen (Vietnam) 2:32:10
1. Heidi Gan (Malaysia) 2:20:26
2. Thi Ngoc Yen N. (Vietnam) 2:34:59
3. Yessy V Yosaputra (Indonesia) 2:38:47
4. Anissa Fabiola (Indonesia) 2:42:39
5. Chelsea Fuch (Singapore) 2:43:37
6. Thi Ngoc Bich N. (Vietnam) 2:43:48
Photos and information courtesy of Christopher Guesdon.