Oct. 19. THE Cumberland College swimming teams opened up their 2001 season at home on Friday, hosting the University of Charleston at the Dinah Taylor Aquatic Center. Both the men and women’s teams came away with the overall victories.
winning for the men:
* John Poorman – first place in the 1000 free; first place in the 500 free
* Jeremy Stephenson – first place in the 200 free;
* Duncan Mackie –first place in the 50 free
* Aaron Drake – first place in the 100 FR
* Dennis Holland – first place in the 200 fly
The women’s team winners included:
* Ellen Barnes – first place in the 1000 free; first place in the 500 free
* Rebecca Shanks – first place in the 200 free;
* Melinda Clyde – first place in the 200 BK
* Raven Maples – first place in the 50 free; first place in the 100 free
The men’s team won the match by a score of 83-24 whil the women triumphed 84-64. Assistant coach, Libor Janek, commented, “We are very pleased with how both teams performed especially since it was the opening meet of the season. We are looking forward to the season, but both teams will have to step it up to get back to where we were last year. Melinda Clyde and John Poorman have already begun their quest for a national tournament experience in their efforts today.”
The swim team will be in action again on October 23, 2001 as they host Asbury College at 5:30 PM.