Full wall-to-wall coverage, including photo galleries, athlete interviews, recaps and columns are available at the Event Landing Page.
LONDON, England, July 30. DURING the opening day of women's water polo action, Spain upset the second-ranked Chinese women, while gold-medal favorites Team USA resisted an upset bid of its own at the 2012 London Olympics.
ESP v CHN
- Spain upset world No.2 China with an 11-6 victory in the opening Group A encounter.
- Anni ESPAR (ESP) scored three goals as Spain turned a 6-4 half-time lead into an unbeatable 10-6 margin at the final break.
- Spain will be hoping to beat FINA World League champions, United States, on Wednesday, with China looking for a better result against Hungary.
AUS v ITA
- Captain Kate GYNTHER scored three goals as Australia, who won silver at this year's FINA World League, beat European champions Italy 10-8 in the opening Group B match.
- Australia, aiming for a second Olympic gold medal, twice held four-goal margins – 8-4 at three-quarter time and 10-6 midway through the final period.
- Australia's next opponents are Great Britain, while Italy will take on Russia on Wednesday.
RUS v GBR
- Russia, the only European team to play in all four women's Olympic competitions, were stretched all the way before beating newcomers Great Britain 7-6 in a Group B encounter.
- Great Britain led early, were level at 6-6 before Evgeniya IVANOVA (RUS) sealed the match with a counter-attack goal inside the last four minutes.
- Russia play Italy and Great Britain face Australia on Wednesday.
USA v HUN
- Olympic debutante Maggie STEFFENS (USA) equalled an Olympic record when she slammed in seven goals as gold medal favourites United States beat Hungary 14-13 in a Group B match.
- There was superb shooting at both ends of the pool and, while the USA were never behind, Hungary levelled at 1-1, 5-5, 7-7 and 8-8 by early in the third quarter and, after going three behind, narrowed the margin to one in the final quarter.
- USA face Spain and Hungary take on China on the second day of women's action on Wednesday.
Results links, with splits, when available are located at the bottom of the article. Hit refresh to make sure you have the latest version of the story.
You can download, read, and save this special issue by clicking here.