Full wall-to-wall coverage, including photo galleries, athlete interviews, recaps and columns are available at the Event Landing Page.
LONDON, England, August 2. GOLD-medal favorites Montenegro and Serbia provided some serious drama with an 11-11 draw on day three of men's competition at the Water Polo Arena on Thursday, while Olympic champions Hungary gained a closely fought first win.
Spain v Australia
– Spain made amends for a controversial loss to Croatia on Tuesday by beating Australia 13-9 in their group A match.
– Spain had 10 different players score their first 10 goals as they led at the quarter-time breaks 2-1, 5-4 and 9-5. Billy MILLER (AUS) top-scored with five goals.
– Spain is looking for a third win against Greece on Saturday while Australia is fighting to stay in medal contention with a big clash against Croatia.
Kazakhstan v Greece
– Greece scored their first win from three outings with a 11-4 group A victory over Kazakhstan.
– Ioannis FOUNTOULIS (GRE) top scored with five goals from seven shots, two of which were from the penalty line as Greece moved from 2-1 at the end of the first quarter to 6-1 at half-time and 9-2 at the three-quarter mark.
– Greece faces Spain on Saturday to gain a top-four berth and Kazakhstan would need an unlikely win over world champions Italy to hope to advance.
Montenegro v Serbia
– Gold-medal contenders and neighbors Montenegro and Serbia battled to an 11-11 draw in a group B encounter in which Andrija PRLAINOVIC (SRB) scored five goals for the third consecutive match.
– There were 36 major fouls and Serbian assistant coach Dejan STANOJEVIC gained a red card and received a two-match suspension.
– Montenegro trailed by two goals on six occasions and leveled at 11-11 with two goals in the last two minutes.
– On Saturday, Serbia plays USA, who is top of the group with three wins, and Montenegro takes on Romania.
Romania v Hungary
– It took three matches for Hungary to start their Olympic defense, beating Romania 17-15 in a group B with left-hander Norbert MADARAS (HUN) scoring five goals.
– Winless after the first two days of competition, Hungary had to use all their skills to fend off a – Romanian team fighting for Olympic survival.
– Hungary now has to beat Great Britain to make the quarterfinals. Romania, with one win, needs a big game against Montenegro.
Great Britain v USA
– USA went top of group B with a third consecutive win after overcoming the resurgent Great Britain 13-7.
– Captain Tony AZEVEDO scored the first three of his four goals in the opening four minutes as USA romped to a 7-0 lead before Great Britain awoke.
– USA faces Serbia on Saturday, while Great Britain will test their skills against Hungary.
Italy v Croatia
– Croatia scored an emphatic 11-6 group A victory over world champions Italy for a third consecutive win. Italy has one win, a draw and a loss.
– With Croatia up 5-4 at half-time, it looked like an interesting match would unfold in the second period, but it was not to be as Croatia led 8-5 at the end of three periods and scored three goals in the final minutes.
– Croatia plays Australia and Italy faces Kazakhstan on Saturday.
You can download, read, and save this special issue by clicking here.