Full wall-to-wall coverage, including photo galleries, athlete interviews, recaps and columns are available at the Event Landing Page.
LONDON, England, August 5. THE final four has been established in the women's water polo tournament at the 2012 London Olympics with Australia, United States, Hungary and Spain all advancing.
Hungary v Russia
- Hungary survived a final-second assault to clinch the first semifinal berth with an 11-10 victory over Russia.
- Pre-match favorites Russia lay siege to Hungary's goalmouth and Olga BELIAEVA (RUS) fired a point-blank shot at the defense only for it to rebound, being snapped up by Ekaterina LISUNOVA (RUS), who scored. However, it was disallowed as the shot came after the siren had started to sound.
- Hungary will play Spain in the medal semifinals. Russia clashes with Great Britain in the round 5th-8th semifinals on Tuesday.
China v Australia
- Australia's most celebrated player Melissa RIPPON fired her team into the women's semifinals with a 20-18 penalty-shootout victory over China in the second quarterfinal.
- The match was locked at 14-14 by full-time with three Australians and one Chinese already fouled out of the match and 16-16 after two periods of extra time.
- It came down to former captain and triple Olympian RIPPON to score the winner as the fifth shooter in the normal rotation and score the fourth consecutive goal after China missed their third and fourth shots. Rowie WEBSTER missed the first Australian attempt.
- Australia will face USA in the medal semifinals and China will encounter Italy in the round 5th-8th semifinals.
United States v Italy
- United States' dream of a fourth women's Olympic medal, but more especially a first gold, is intact after defeating Italy 9-6 in the third quarterfinal.
- While Australia needed a penalty shootout to win over China, USA had to recover from a two-goal deficit in the first quarter to coast to victory over Italy, the Athens 2004 champions.
- The result of the game can be read in the man-up plays with USA converting six from 11 and Italy only one from nine.
Spain v Great Britain
- Spain will play Hungary in a semifinal after they fended off Great Britain 9-7 in an exciting fourth quarterfinal.
- Spain, playing without the poolside services of head coach Miguel OCA, who was serving a one-match suspension, led 3-2, 6-2 and 8-5 at the breaks, but Great Britain, to their credit, won the second half 6-3.
- Great Britain will head to the 5th-8th classification semifinals against Russia.
Results links, with splits, when available are located at the bottom of the article. Hit refresh to make sure you have the latest version of the story.
You can download, read, and save this special issue by clicking here.