Moscow Olympic pool
Courtesy of: Russian Swimming Federation
MOSCOW, Russia, May 27. A large portion of ownership shares of the famed Olimpiisky Sports Complex, which has seen a lot of use since the 1980 Summer Olympics, was bought today by a wealthy family for nearly $140 million.

According to an article from Inside the Games, the Neftegazprod company bought 64 percent of ownership of the 213,000 square meter facility from the City of Moscow in a public auction. The remaining 36 percent of ownership will remain with the city.

Along with the Olimpiysky Arena that held basketball and boxing matches in the 1980 Games and numerous concerts today, the Olimpiisky complex houses the natatorium. That is where Vladimir Salnikov became the first man under 15 minutes in the 1500-meter freestyle, doing so in front of his home crowd in 1980. Since then, the pool has housed many Russian national championships, the 2002 short course world championships and several stops on the FINA World Cup tour.


The change in ownership is not expected to have an effect on the staging of the next World Cup meet in Moscow, set for October 8-9. The Inside the Games article mentions that the annual profits from events held in the complex are $777,000, with possible refurbishments costing $146 million.

Inside the Games article