2012 London Olympics, Water Polo: Croatia, Serbia Win Groups Heading Into Men's Water Polo Quarterfinals
-- August 6, 2012
|FINIS is a proud sponsor of Swimming World's editorial coverage of the U.S. Olympic Trials and London Games.Full wall-to-wall coverage, including photo galleries, athlete interviews, recaps and columns are available at the Event Landing Page.
LONDON, England, August 6. CROTIA and Serbia completed the final day of group play as the group winners heading into the men's water polo quarterfinals at the 2012 London Olympics. Additionally, Australia clinched the final berth in the quarterfinals with its triumph over Greece.
Kazakhstan v Croatia
- Croatia beat Kazakhstan 12-4 for a fifth consecutive win and group A supremacy and will meet fourth in group B, USA, in the quarterfinals.
- Niksa DOBUD (CRO) controlled the center-forward position, scoring five goals to lift his tournament tally to 12.
- Kazakhstan, who bowed out of the tournament, were winless and collect 11th.
Greece v Australia
- Australia grabbed the eighth men's quarterfinal berth with a stunning 13-8 group A victory over Greece and will now play Serbia.
- The Australians gave a high-flying display and led 3-2, 8-5 and 11-6 at the breaks to send Greece out of the competition with ninth place.
- Greece captain Georgios AFROUDAKIS retired after attending five Olympics.
Romania v Serbia
- Serbia took out men's group B honors with a 12-4 victory over Romania, finishing with four wins and a draw.
- Romania, back in the Olympic arena for the first time since 1996, left the tournament with one win and 10th place.
- Slobodan NIKIC and Stefan MITROVIC both scored three for Serbia.
Hungary v United States
- Hungary is back and ready to retain their Olympic crown after a dominant 11-6 display over USA in a group B match.
- After two losses, Hungary has strung together three wins to gain third position in the group, one place above fellow quarterfinalists USA.
- Norbert HOSNYANSZKY (HUN) led the way with three goals.
Great Britain v Montenegro
- Montenegro beat Great Britain 13-4 to close group B preliminary play in second place behind Serbia and set up a quarterfinal with Spain.
- Great Britain departs in 12th place, having played their first Olympics since 1956.
- Montenegro finished with a 3-1-1 record from the five matches and looks keen for the quarterfinals after a smooth and untroubled outing with center-forward Boris ZLOKOVIC and Aleksandar RADOVIC scoring three goals each.
Spain v Italy
- World champions Italy claimed second in group A with a 10-7 victory over Spain after leading 6-3 at half-time and 8-4 going into the last quarter.
- Italy, who finished with seven points, now plays a resurgent Hungary. Third-ranked Spain, with six points, will clash with Montenegro, who was second in group B.
- Former Croatian Danijel PREMUS (ITA) made his mark on the match with three goals.
Results links, with splits, when available are located at the bottom of the article. Hit refresh to make sure you have the latest version of the story.
You can download, read, and save this special issue by clicking here.
Results: 2012 London Olympics: Men's Water Polo Day 5
Courtesy of: James Lang-USA TODAY Sports