2012 London Olympics, Water Polo: Serbia, U.S. Men's Water Polo Start Off Strong On Day One
-- July 29, 2012
|FINIS is a proud sponsor of Swimming World's editorial coverage of the U.S. Olympic Trials and London Games.Full wall-to-wall coverage, including photo galleries, athlete interviews, recaps and columns are available at the Event Landing Page
LONDON, England, July 29. HUNGARY's hopes of winning a fourth successive gold medal were dealt a blow when it lost 14-10 to European champions Serbia on the opening day of the men's water polo tournament. In the other major game on Sunday, USA beat Montenegro 8-7.
GRE v CRO
- Croatia beat Greece 8-6 in the first game of the London 2012 water polo tournament.
- Centre-forwards dominated the play, with Niksa DOBUD (CRO) and Konstantinos MOURIKIS (GRE) both scoring twice.
- Greece's next opponents are world champions Italy, while Croatia face Spain. Both matches will be played on Tuesday 31 July.
KAZ v ESP
- Spain's counter-attacking game and superior speed overpowered Kazakhstan 14-6 in the day's second match.
- Former Brazilian international Felipe PERRONE (ESP) was the star as he scored four goals.
- Spain's next opponents are world league champions Croatia, while Kazakhstan face Australia. Both matches will be played on Tuesday 31 July.
ITA v AUS
- World champions Italy scored six goals from man-up situations to help them to an 8-5 victory over Australia.
- Italian goalkeeper Stefano TEMPESTI made 17 saves, although 11 of those were from shots outside five metres. Joel DENNERLEY stopped 13 for Australia.
- Italy's next opponents are Greece, while Australia face Kazakhstan. Both matches will be played on Tuesday 31 July.
HUN v SRB
- Olympic champions Hungary suffered their first defeat in 18 Olympic matches when they lost 14-10 to world cup winners Serbia.
- Andrija PRLAINOVIC (SRB) scored the last three Serbian goals in the fourth period to add to the two he scored in the third quarter.
- Hungary will look to respond in their next match against Montenegro, while Serbia face Great Britain. Both matches will be played on Tuesday 31 July.
ROU v GBR
- Romania dominated after the first quarter to beat Great Britain 13-4.
- Nicolae DIACONU (ROU) scored twice from distance in the first half to give the Romanians a 6-1 lead.
- Great Britain will play world cup winners Serbia in their next match, while Romania face USA. Both matches will be played on Tuesday 31 July.
MNE v USA
- USA beat Montenegro 8-7 in the first match the pair have played at a major tournament.
- USA had the better of the extra-man statistics, scoring two from six while Montenegro could manage only two from eight attempts.
- Montenegro will play Olympic champions Hungary in their next match, while USA face Romania. Both matches will be played on Tuesday 31 July.
You can download, read, and save this special issue by clicking here.
Results: 2012 London Olympics: Men's Water Polo Day 1
Courtesy of: Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports