PHOENIX, Arizona, December 30. ON the seventh day of Swimming World Magazine's end of the year holiday rollout, we present the top 10 news stories on SwimmingWorld.com in September and October of 2013. The following stories were read most often during that time.
Although news foreshadowing Michael Phelps' comeback were 3 out of the top 5 most-read stories in the fall months, the shocking lifetime ban handed to 23-year-old Stephanie North was Swimming World's most read news story.
Relive a bit of recent history by clicking the story links below. Enjoy!
1. Former Boise State Swimmer Stephanie North, 23, Banned for Life by USA Swimming
The Former Boise State swimmer was handed the ban after an arrest on allegations of lewd conduct with a minor
2. Like Sands Through the Hourglass: New Rumors of Michael Phelps' Return
At the time, people wondered if statements made by Phelps and Coach Bob Bowman were said merely to push product. In retrospect, they were foreshadowing Phelps' return
3. Michael Phelps Doing Some Training With North Baltimore as Speculation Grows
When the Associated Press reported that Phelps was training part-time with Bowman at NBAC it became harder for Phelps to deny rumors about his comeback
4. Michael Phelps Fires Up Swimming Twittersphere With Cryptic Tweet
It is amazing how a single Tweet can ignite worldwide speculation
5. Tucson High School Swim Coach Bruce Rock Fired After Child Porn Arrest
An unfortunate, disturbing news story about the misdeeds of a Tucson High School Swim Coach
6. College Swim Coaches Association of America's Division I Women's Season Preview
At the beginning of the collegiate swim season, the Swimming World and the CSCAA predicted that the Southern California Trojans would have the strongest 2013-14 collegiate season.. who else made the list?
7. International Swimming Hall of Fame is Leaving Fort Lauderdale
ISHOF CEO Bruce Wigo told members of the ISHOF Advisory Board that the ISHOF would not be renewing its relationship with the City of Fort Lauderdale. The announcement started a discussion about where the ISHOF should call its new home
8. Swimming Science: Understanding the Difference Between Soreness and Shoulder Injury
Dr. G. John Mullen tackles how swimmers and coaches can differentiate between shoulder pain and soreness in this detailed article
9. USA Swimming Releases 2013-14 National Team Roster
Some old faces, some new faces!
10. FINA World Cup, Moscow: Ruta Meilutyte Posts World Record; Russia Claims Mixed Relay World Mark
Lithuania's Ruta Meilutyte took down the women's 100 breaststroke world record during the first stop of 2013 World Cup circuit in Moscow