German Fans
Courtesy of: Joan Marc Bosch
FINA World Championships editorial coverage is proudly sponsored by SpeedoUSA. For all the latest coverage, check out our event coverage page.

BARCELONA, Spain, July 21. IT's truly a rare site to see a diver from another nation other than China at the top of a Worlds diving podium, but that's just what happened today at the Municipal Swimming Pools in Montjuic. Germany's Sasha Klein and Patrick Hausding ended a seven-year streak by the Chinese in the men's 10-meter synchronized diving event.

China, which had been smoothly leading through the first three rounds, faltered on their fourth dive and never recovered as Cao Yuan and Zhang Yanquan barely made it back onto the podium with bronze. In the end, Klein and Hausding won gold with 461.46 points, while Russia's Victor Minibaev and Artem Chesakov took silver with 445.95 points. Cao and Zhang overtook Mexico's German Sanchez and Ivan Garcia in the final round to win bronze, 445.56 to 442.86.

This is the first time since China won the event at the 2007 Melbourne Worlds that another nation other than China stood atop the podium.

"We can't believe that the dream has come true. We are really happy, and we don't know what to say. The dream has come true. We have the positive feeling, and positive motivation for the next competition," the Germans said after the performance.

Klein and Hausding put together an exclamation point in the final round with a 96.12 point dive for a backwards two-and-a-half somersault with two-and-a-half twists. China performed the same dive in the final round with an astounding 99.36 points.

China is guaranteed not to replicate its amazing gold medal sweep from the 2011 Shanghai Worlds, and this is Germany's first gold medal in diving at Worlds since reunification.

In women's one-meter springboard preliminary competition, China's He Zi led the way with 287.70 points. Italy's Tanio Cagnotto (284.85) and China's Wang Han (284.00) qualified second and third.

Results: FINA World Championships, Diving: Day Two