Luo Swims 1:07 100m Breast at Chinese City Games -- October 23, 2003
CHANGSHA, China, October 23. CHINESE world champion Luo Xuejuan turned in what was easily the best performance of these Fifth Chinese City Games when she took the women's 100m breaststroke in 1:07.42. Leading all the way, Luo easily outswam Qi Hui, who finished in a solid 1:08.96.
For her part, Qi edged out Zhou Yafei to take the women's 200 IM. Zhou, who won bronze this past summer in Barcelona, led in the first half before Qi came back in and dominated the rest of the distance, finishing in 2:14.01. Zhou, who was this sick this week, finished second in 2:14.93, two seconds slower than her time this summer at Worlds. Zhang Dan finished third in 2:17.13.
The 18-year-old Qi, fourth place finisher in the event at the Worlds, said,"I was one second shy of my personal best set two years ago. I worked very hard on backstroke after the Worlds. It showed that I was not bad in the stroke tonight."
Zhan Shu enjoyed her first gold as she triumphed in the 100m backstroke in 1:01.56, out-swimming Cheng Jiaru from Guangzhou, 1:02.28. Chen Xioujun and Gao Chan tied tied for third in 1:02.88.
In the men's 200m freestyle, 16-year-old Zhang Lin won his second event of the meet in 1:50.14, adding to his previous victory in the 400m freestyle. Another 16-year-old, Zhao Tao, won the men's 100m backstroke in 56.65.
Wu Peng, China's version of Michael Phelps, took his second event of the Games when he fashioned a decisive wire-to-wire victory in the 200 fly. Wu's 1:57.45 was two-and-a-ahlf seconds faster than runner-up Zheng Huazhang. Earlier, Wu took the 400 IM in 4:19.61, about four seconds off his national record.
5th Chinese City Games Results
100 meters backstroke
1. Zhan Shu, Shengyang, 1:01.56
2. Cheng Jiaru, Guangzhou, 1:02.28
3. Chen Xioujun, Guangzhou, 1:02.88
Gao Chang, Shenyang, 1:02.88
1. Luo Xuejuan, Hangzhou, 1:07.42
2. Qi Hui, Fuzhou, 1:08.96
3. Wu Binan, Guangzhou, 1:10.73
200 meters freestyle
1. Yang Yu, Hangzhou, 1:59.73
2. Tang Jingzhi, Hangzhou, 2:00.37
3. Pang Jiaying, Shanghai Huangpu, 2:00.62
200m individual medley
1. Qi Hui, Fuzhou, 2:14.01
2. Zhou Yafei, Qingdao, 2:14.93
3. Zhang Dan, Shenzhen, 2:17.13
1. Zhou Yafei, Qingdao, 58.92
2. Xu Yanwei, Shanghai Huangpu, 59.89
3. Tao Li, Shanghai Huangpu, 1:00.37
1. Yang Yu, Hangzhou, 4:12.61
2. Tang Jingzhi, Hangzhou, 4:13.14
3. Yang Jing, Nanchang, 4:13.33
1. Zhang Lin, Beijng Chaoyang, 1:50.14
2. Qu Jingyu, Shenzhen, 1:51.39
3. Yu Chenglong, Shenyang, 1:51.54
1. Zhao Tao, Hefei, 56.65
2. Zhang Chang, Wenzhou, 56.86
3. Wang Yi, Fuzhou, 57.12
1. Wu Peng, Hangzhou, 1:57.45
2. Zheng Huazhang, Shenyang, 1:59.91
3. Chen Yin, Qinhuangdao, 2:00.80
1. Hangzhou, 7:28.82
2. Nanjing, 7:30.58
3. Shenyang, 7:38.99
1. Fan Luojun, Kunming, 1:03.09
2. Guo Zhifang, Guangzhou, 1:04.05
3. Wu Dong, Dalian, 1:04.07
400m individual medley
1. Wu Peng, Hangzhou, 4:19.61
2. Liu Weijia, Shenyang, 4:20.09
3. Li Ziqiang, Nanjing, 4:25.48