WSU Lady Cougars Defeat Cal State Northridge, 110-93 -- November 10, 2002
PULLMAN, Wash., Nov. 9. THE Washington State University women’s swim team completed a sweep of Cal-State Northridge with a 110-93 victory in a dual meet Saturday. The Cougars posted a 114-112 win in a relay meet Friday.
The Cougars got off to a quick start, leading the Matadors 62-31 after consecutive victories in the first five events. Assisting with the fast start was the one-two finish by Becca Cohen and Sheena Mills in the 200 freestyle.
"I think as a team we got off to a good start," WSU Head Coach Erica Quam said. "The first half of the meet we had some people doing some of their secondary events."
Lesley Ouellette led the way for WSU with three first place finishes, two as an individual and one as a member of the 200 medley relay team. Ouellette, a freshman from Ukiah, Calif., recorded personal best times in her first place finishes in the 200 IM and 100 freestyle with times of 2:14.11 and 54.58, respectively.
Senior Becca Cohen also contributed to the Cougars’ success. Cohen swam her way to victory in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:56.57. She also grabbed a second place finish in the 500 freestyle and a first place finish as the anchor of the 400 freestyle relay.
Other first place finishers for WSU included Jill Olson, Lindsay Henahan and Jane Copland. Olson won the 1000 freestyle with a time of 10:37.72. In the 50 freestyle, Henahan swam a first place time of 24.58. Copland found victory in the 200 breaststroke with a 2:18.90 time.
Copland’s effort in the 200 breaststroke puts her at number three on the Cougars' all-time top 10 list. She now holds second, third, and fourth place on the list in that event.
The Cougars’ next competition will take place Saturday, Nov. 16 against Central Washington and Pepperdine in Ellensburg. Washington State returns home Friday, Nov. 22, to take on cross-state rival Washington at Gibb Pool at 7 p.m.
Washington State vs. Cal State Northridge
(all distances in yards)
Washington State (WSU) 110
Cal State Northridge (CSUN) 93
200 Medley Relay:
1. WSU (A) (Chinn, Ouellette, Henahan, Schmied) 1:49.12
2. CSUN (A) (Tatiana, Murray, Christopher, Hunhoff) 1:52.97
3. WSU (B) (Dunn, Eldred, Mills, Copland) 1:57.07
1. Jill Olson (WSU) 10:37.72
2. Lindsay Love (CSUN) 10:50.29
3. Lisa Irwin (CSUN) 11:18.11
1. Becca Cohen (WSU) 1:56.57
2. Sheena Mills (WSU) 1:57.56
3. Selin Bulbul (CSUN) 2:01.75
1. Lindsay Henahan (WSU) 24.58
2. Ashley Hunhoff (CSUN) 25.47
3. Marianne Johnson (CSUN) 25.97
200 Individual Medley:
1. Lesley Ouellette (WSU) 2:14.11
2. Chari Christopher (CSUN) 2:17.51
3. Nicole Benson (CSUN) 2:18.63
1. Aleshia Reutlinger (CSUN) 2:15.52
2. Suzie Matevosian (CSUN) 2:17.84
3. Jill Olson (WSU) 2:20.79
1. Lesley Ouelletter (WSU) 54.58
2. Selin Bulbul (CSUN) 55.64
3. Ashley Hunhoff (CSUN) 56.59
1. Tatiana Maristany (CSUN) 2:10.13
2. Sasha Taylor (WSU) 2:13.66
3. Nicole Chinn (WSU) 2:14.17
1.Lindsay Love (CSUN) 5:08.24
2. Becca Cohen (WSU) 5:12.69
3. Kris Estrada (CSUN) 5:40.61
1. Jane Copland (WSU) 2:18.90
2. Jessica Murray (CSUN) 2:41.18
3. Megan Henry (CSUN) 2:44.08
400 Freestyle Relay:
1. WSU (A) (Henahan, Schmied, Taylor, Cohen) 3:39.64
2. CSUN (A) (Bulbul, Maristany, Christopher, Love) 3:43.03
3. CSUN (B) MacPherson, Matevosian, Johnson, Estrada) 3:51.83