Gymnastics Gets It Together, Takes Commanding Lead in Oregon Voting -- October 31, 2002
By Phillip Whitten
EUGENE, Oregon, October 31. THE gymnastics community got itself together and opened up a commanding lead in the preferential polling on the University of Oregon site. The Athletic Department wants to add a women's sport and has opened up the voting on which sport to add to the public.
AS of late last night, here's how the votes stood:
What current NCAA women's sport would you like Oregon to add? (No. of schools sponsoring sport in parenthesis)
1. Gymnastics (64) - 46.7% (90,052 votes)
2. Swimming & Diving (184) - 34.8% (67,093 votes)
3. Water Polo (29) - 16.8% (32,474 votes)
4. Lacrosse (77) - 0.4% (852 votes)
5. Rowing (84) - 0.4% (796 votes)
6. Ice Hockey (31) - 0.3% (672 votes)
We can still win this vote, but it will take an extraordinary effort to do so. If you care about the future of our sport, we need you to vote and encourage your friends to vote!
YOU can help create a new Women's Swimming and Diving program at Oregon by voting at the school's web site below.
You can help further by passing this article along to five friends and asking them to vote.