Coach Rick Benner Heads to the Sunshine State -- April 23, 2001
ORLANDO, April 23. RICK BENNER, acclaimed coach of Olympic gold medalist Megan Quann and national champion, Jamie Reid has joined the Highlander Aquatic Club in central Florida as a Senior Coach.
Coach Benner, most recently the Head Coach of the Puyallup Aquatic Club in the Seattle area, is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a
USA Swimming National Team Coach for the last four years, and is sought after as a speaker at clinics and conferences throughout the United States and abroad. He will be assisting head Coach Mike Curley in developing and extending the total program of the Highlander Aquatic Club.
"I’m excited to be here," said Benner. "With the world-class facility here at Lake Highland, the ability to attract the finest swimmers from all across Central Florida, and the support of the administration of the school (Lake Highland Prep), we have it all. And the ability to work with Head Coach Mike Curley to develop
a robust program from beginners to champions is the dream of a lifetime."
"I feel like a glorified travel agent," said Benner.
"Tell me where you want to go and we’ll plan how to get there." And his record of accomplishment backs up those words. As a coach he has taken his swimmers to National Championships; the Goodwill Games; World Cup meets in Sweden, England, Italy, France and Germany; the Short Course World Championships in Greece; the Pan-Pacific Championships in Australia; and the 2000 Olympic Games. He believes in creating a comprehensive training program that includes sports science and psychology, biomechanics and physiology, nutrition, and most importantly personal drive and desire.
"We are excited to have Coach Benner join our family," beamed Warren Hudson, President of Lake Highland Preparatory School. "Our goal as an institution is to add value to the community at large. The expansion of the coaching staff allows us to offer a different swimming experience to all swimmers, not just to our students."
ABOUT COACH BENNER
Coach Benner, 41, has been married for 18 years and has four children ranging in age from 11 to 16. His record includes:
· 2001 USA Swimming National Team Coach’s Meeting Speaker
· 2001 Head Coach, USA Swimming Distance Select Camp
· 2000 USA Swimming Olympic Preparation Camp Coach
· 2000 ASCA World Coaches Conference Presenter
· 2000 British Columbia Swim Coaches Association Speaker
· 2000 Oregon Swim Coaches Association Speaker
· 2000 Long Course Meters, 2 American Records, 2 NAG Records, 11 LSC Records, 27 Top 16 Applications.
· 2000 Short Course Meters, 1 NAG Record, 15 LSC Records.
· 2000 Short Course Yards, 1 NAG Record, 8 LSC Records, 43 Top 16 Applications.
· 1999 - 2000 Pacific Northwest Swimming Senior Coach of the Year
· 1998 - 2001 USA Swimming National Team Coach
· 1999 - 2001 ‘Speedo’ Advisory Coach
· 1999 - 2000 USA Swimming Olympic Preparation Grant Recipient
· 1999 USA Swimming Club/LSC Grant Award, "Just Add Water, Pool Program"
· 1998 USA Swimming, Woman’s Assistant Coach Goodwill Games
· 1998 USA Swimming, National Select Camp Coach
· 1997 - 99 Pacific Northwest Swimming, Board of Directors
· 1992 - 98 Pacific Northwest Swimming LSC Camp Director/Coach
· 1992 - 97 Pacific Northwest Swimming Zone Coach
· 1993 - 96 Pacific Northwest Swimming All Star Coach
HIGHLANDER AQUATIC CLUB
With nearly 200 swimmers of all ages and abilities, the Highlander Aquatic Club is ideally located in the heart of Orlando, near Interstate 4. As a local swim club, open to all swimmers, it focuses on developing each person to the highest level-both in and out of the pool. (see also http://www.highlanderaquatics.org)
LAKE HIGHLAND PREPARATORY SCHOOL
Lake Highland is a private, not-for-profit educational institution serving students from Kindergarten through 12th grade. With over 1,700 students, it is the largest college preparatory program in Central Florida. Within an atmosphere of love, concern and mutual respect, Lake Highland Preparatory School is committed to instilling Christian values, to inspiring patriotism and to preparing students for college and lifetime learning through academically challenging programs and affirming competitive experiences.
(see also )
Check out our featured Product !!!
Total Training for Young Champions, By Tudor Bomba